Yu-Gi-Oh! South African Trade Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

CARD OF THE WEEK

Go down 
+6
Yudheer
tHeGaMe
MutG
Darksoul
Tirion
Jascha
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Jascha
Jascha

CARD OF THE WEEK Empty
PostSubject: CARD OF THE WEEK   CARD OF THE WEEK EmptySat Jul 23, 2011 12:04 pm

I though it be cool for us to start a card of the week review. unfortunitly im not allways available to post u on so how about every saturday one of us will post it. anyone but first post will stay as our card of the week and everyone can post on pro's and con's to the card.

This week im picking
nobleman of extermination
CARD OF THE WEEK NoblemanofExterminationDTP1-EN-DCPR-DT

Normal spell
Effect: Destroy and remove from play 1 face-down Spell or Trap Card. If it was a Trap Card, both players must remove from play all cards in their Deck with the same name as it.

Ok so the question that will be asked is with mst being on 2 y should i play extermination? I have a few answers to that

1. you can play 3 so you can have a backline distruction of 5 cards in your deck if need be.
2. it gets rid of upto entire playsets of backline your opponent is playing.
3. and the biggest reason is because players are using heavy backline at the moment. with 2 bottomless, up to 3 prison, 1 solemn, 2 warning, mirror force. torential, and the new staple seven tools, its very dificult to get away with a clean attck anymore.

Extermination give you a clean attack and possibly give you a few more as the game go's on

Ok downers will hav2 be in comparison to mst as that's the toss up;
1. its normal spell as aposed to quickplay mst
2. it only works on facedown cards. so continuous and FIELD cards arnt affected.
3. may kill off your own backline aswell if you hit something you use.

I still give the card a 7/10. I use it all the time. in conjunction with mst or even dropping mst for it depending on the deck. The card is better in conjuntion with mst and in a very aggresive deck like sam allowing you to use there distruction capability on monster and shien on offensive/stratergy spells. I myself prefer to play backline thats dif to the norm (mainly coz i dont have warnings) so my backline is always safe from it but i gess if i do end up with that problem its a 3 card thin.
Back to top Go down
Tirion
Veteran
Tirion

CARD OF THE WEEK Empty
PostSubject: Re: CARD OF THE WEEK   CARD OF THE WEEK EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 8:14 am

I will give it a 5/10

Its Playable takes out back line and remove more problems in the deck but the only targeting face down and the fact that your opponent can chain so that the cards in the deck dont go.

I give that artwork 7/10 that O on the card is showing so much of emotion(or he is really suffering) just to destroy 1 face down card or if you look closely he is squatting and the look on his face is like he got a hard sh!t on board.
Back to top Go down
Jascha
Jascha

CARD OF THE WEEK Empty
PostSubject: Re: CARD OF THE WEEK   CARD OF THE WEEK EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 8:00 pm

ok we missed a week so this week ill do 2 cards.

with yesterday being durbans sneak for generations force and saturday for the other reagons i thought it be best to use that as our theme for a while.
so since its two cards ill make it one we all No about and one thats pretty good.

first up,

xyz veil
CARD OF THE WEEK XyzVeilGENF-EN-SR-UE
Continues Trap
effect; Face-up Xyz Monsters with Xyz Material cannot be targeted by card effects.

Xyz Veil was the sneak preview card for generations force. I personally wished we had a better sneak card...maybe something on the level of TENGU! but hay this is konami we talking about. But the question is is it really as bad as everyone thinks it is?

In general its effect is good. being able to turn an entire field of monsters into "thought ruler archfiend" is pretty cool and that can be an interesting advantage for a player. Most of the targeting cards around these days are monsters and they also form a huge precentage of the decks running around in the present. this could leave a huge monster that you summoned immune to gravekeepers decendent, murmilo, hyperion, dragunity leagonare, brionic (not really), scrap dragon and more.
obviously this is also a very defencive era. consisting of solid backline decks as well. Now from all of which this card only help with 1. Dimentional prison. But that could also mean playing Xyz Veil you should go for a more offencive distruction of backline.

But even with a solid build between XYZ's, Xyz Veil and massive backline capability will Veil be worth the space....My answer is NO! unfortunitly i cannot tell how far the game will shift towards XYZ and how quick they will be. if anything like sychro, then i gess having a card like that in your back pocket will come in handy but as the meta is now and as far as i can see forward Xyz's for the most part will be extra options to hit rather than the only direction. combining that with the fact that there are more backline in decks than you can ever compansate for, makes this an investment in a deffencive card weak in all the wrong areas.

Rating : 3/10 i doubt ill be playing it any time soon if ever. and since T ZILLA smaks to rate art work ill rate this one 4/10 interesting but nah

Next up,

Number 17 : Leviathan Dragon
CARD OF THE WEEK Number17LeviathanDragonGENF-EN-UR-1E
Monster
water
Dragon/Xyz/Effect
Rank 3
Atk 2000 Def 0

effect :2 Level 3 monsters
Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; this card gains 500 ATK. If this card has no Xyz Materials, it cannot attack your opponent directly.

This buy is pretty cool. He's the cover card for generations force. I think he is a def thumbs up as in our current meta alot of 3 star monsters are being played and he requires 2 level 3 monsters to summon. An unfortunate scenario is that sangan dosnt work in exceeding as its not send to grave from field but rather sent to grave from monster according to the xyz rulings out but i see a possible upside. Dandy Works!
he also is a pretty good beatdown monster boasting 2000 atk and after one detach becoming 2500... permanently! so he can run into a stardust on the turn he's summoned. his drawback is that he cant attack directly if he has no xyz meterial attached making him just a monster removal better at 3000 atk. which isnt that bad.
But 2500 start off isnt enaf. 2600 is perfection and will wasting 2 3 stars on this be better than pullind a brio? I dont think so. but they are as i said earlier, built for options and having a beatstick option isnt a bad one. THE FORCE OF EARTH is a good example.

Rating : 6/10 he's good but there could be better to come. artwork 7/10 coz black borders are cool...but crossing them is not!

Back to top Go down
Jascha
Jascha

CARD OF THE WEEK Empty
PostSubject: Re: CARD OF THE WEEK   CARD OF THE WEEK EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 7:16 pm

NEW WEEK

I wanted to continue the theme of generations force but since WORLDS just ended its only fitting i change the topic for a week.

This weeks card of the week is.....

Gachi Gachi Gantetsu
CARD OF THE WEEK 300px-GachiGachiGantetsuYS11-EN-SR-1E

Attribute EARTH
Types Rock/Xyz/Effect
Rank 2
ATK/DEF 500/1800
Card Effect Type(s) Continuous
2 Level 2 monsters
If this face-up card would be destroyed, you can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card instead. Face-up monsters you control gain 200 ATK and DEF for each Xyz Material attached to this card.

Compared to the last STARTER DECK i was disappointed with this card as in its place was COLOSSAL FIGHTER in the last. you cant really compare the 2 but after watching the finals vid it swayed me into thinking this isnt as useless as i though.
It would have been much better with at least 1500 atk or so but this is konami. they wana sell decks but not that many! 500 is just screaming WAST with its increase atk eff. but compensating for that it increases all other monsters you control by 200 atk AND DEF for each xyz materiel as well. so all my monsters get a 400 atk or so increase...getting some where but not much. couple that eff with a 1800 def (so now he's 2200 def. much better) and the fact that it can detach a xyz materiel instead of it being destroyed, then it becomes a really irritating wall that's pretty hard to get rid of in our format.
Cards that are used for field clearance in our format that may hit him...saber slash, torrential tribute, gravekeeper decedent, black rose dragon, scrap dragon and leagonare. all of these leave you one, two maybe 3 card down and him still on field. obviously excluding warning and trush. but factoring in that he was pulled using shine balls summoned for free makes him an extremely strong low cost wall. in my opinion is what won our current champ that round.

it could have been a different story if he he couldn't atk over trush
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fbq78JOANgI&feature=related

so finally
RATING : 6/10 he only makes 6 for me because not allot of decks will choose to loose a 2 star monster for him. most of them are tuners and they could rather pull a synchro which probably is allot better.

art 7/10 he do's look like a wall that can hold back anything. and remember black is the new white...or purple.

Last edited by Jascha on Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jascha
Jascha

CARD OF THE WEEK Empty
PostSubject: Re: CARD OF THE WEEK   CARD OF THE WEEK EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 9:43 pm

Yo card of the week
Back to generations force with week so introducing...

BIG DADDY COOL

Steelswarm Roach
CARD OF THE WEEK 300px-SteelswarmRoachGENF-EN-ScR-1E

Attribute DARK
Types Fiend/Xyz/Effect
Rank 4
ATK/DEF 1900/0
Number 37926346
Card Effect Type(s) Quick

2 Level 4 monsters
When a Level 5 or higher monster would be Special Summoned: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; negate the Special Summon and destroy it.

So what can I say....awesome card. Negating a special summon of a level 5 or higher monster is amazing. the game has moved very much towards monster destruction but a few steps further than the past as monsters are being stopped before they hit field or as quick as possible. with bottomless, warning, solemn and note this makes it even harder to get a decent monster on field which isnt always a bad thing. best part is its ether turn, so no stalling with call..both of them.
his 1900 atk isnt enaf. its good enaf to hold his own agenst most that would be able to dodge his effect (level 4 or lower monsters generaly) but if something is on field then this isnt your best option...unless you negating stardust from ss at end phase Twisted Evil . the prob iv seen with him so far is that most decks find it alot easier to pull rank 3 xyz's. rank 4 seems to be a odd number at the moment e.g tour guide or darksoul. but im sure with the new xyz support coming this will change. gadget, glad and to some extent sworn could do with a few of him in there back pocket.

RATING : 8/10 his low atk makes you need to negate all level 5 or higher special summons and that means your opponent can force your detaching thats. loosing big monsters though so i can deal with that but the fact that most tear decks cant pull him efficiently is a -1. and like i said he can still be run over -1.
ARTWORK: 3/10 HE's a COCKROACH!!!!!!!!!!! i give him one for having a sword and one for being XYZ
Back to top Go down
Darksoul
Veteran
Darksoul

CARD OF THE WEEK Empty
PostSubject: Re: CARD OF THE WEEK   CARD OF THE WEEK EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 9:59 am

........ Anyway, When's the next card posted up?
Back to top Go down
MutG
Veteran
MutG

CARD OF THE WEEK Empty
PostSubject: Re: CARD OF THE WEEK   CARD OF THE WEEK EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 11:16 am

BLS
Back to top Go down
Jascha
Jascha

CARD OF THE WEEK Empty
PostSubject: Re: CARD OF THE WEEK   CARD OF THE WEEK EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 11:20 am

haha ill post the next one up to night but if anyone whats to post up a review before then by all mean. this is our thread
Back to top Go down
Tirion
Veteran
Tirion

CARD OF THE WEEK Empty
PostSubject: Re: CARD OF THE WEEK   CARD OF THE WEEK EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 11:28 am

Butters why don't you do BLS as you card of the week.

Love the Profile Pic, with the Toy Story backgroud and those cards in your have we all can sign ' you got a Friend in Need(of the 5 cards you holding)'
Back to top Go down
Darksoul
Veteran
Darksoul

CARD OF THE WEEK Empty
PostSubject: Well I'm kinda new here, but I thought I might as well try posting up the new card of the week   CARD OF THE WEEK EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 3:09 pm

Still sticking with Generations Force, how about reviewing the first card you see when you buy it.

Number 17: Leviathan Dragon
CARD OF THE WEEK 300px-Number17LeviathanDragonGENF-EN-UR-1E

Attribute: WATER
Types: Dragon/XYZ/Effect
ATK/DEF: 2000/0
Number: 69610924
Attack name: Vice Stream (Has absolutely no relevance what-so-ever to this review but you've got to admit, It would sound awesome screaming this out while attacking your already stunned opponent!)
Card Effect Type(s): Ignition, Continuous

Card Description:
2 Level 3 monsters
Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; this card gains 500 ATK. If this card has no Xyz Materials, it cannot attack your opponent directly.

Well to start off, This is the cover card of Generations Force. A position proudly held by the elite of cards from their respective boosters, So does this card make the cut? Or does it fall short like some cover cards of the past (You know which ones I'm talking about).
To start off, Leviathan does have a pretty decent ATK and best part is it can grow till 3000! Which will prove to be a pretty hard beatstick for your opponent to get around, but unfortunately, thats all it is - A Beatstick!!
It would be pretty awesome if it could increase all monsters on your side of the field by 500 but I guess that would just be wishful thinking. At least it has the bonus of increasing its own ATK to 2500 in the turn you summon it which would be very helpful in getting rid of some of those irritating nuisances(Stardust,Brionac,etc...). Needing 2 level 3's to summon it in this format should be a breeze! But after its material is gone, I'm happy to say it doesn't get destroyed! So even though you can't ATK your opponent directly, least you can use it to clear the field for you other monsters to have free range! Number 17 should be able to work their way freely into many extra decks as you most often just need a beatstick to get over a few hurdles but I don't see it lasting long though as XYZ start making their presence known.

Rating: 6/10 Very playable now, but I don't see him hanging around as the game progresses
Artwork(Since you guys actually rate this stuff!): 7/10 He does look pretty awesome but -1 for his background-he's a water dragon!,-1 his damn legs, have you seen them! And another -1 just coz his a dragon(Sorry Treven) Twisted Evil

Well that was my first review, what do you guys think?
Back to top Go down
MutG
Veteran
MutG

CARD OF THE WEEK Empty
PostSubject: Re: CARD OF THE WEEK   CARD OF THE WEEK EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 3:53 pm

Good. But. I disagree with a few points.
Back to top Go down
Darksoul
Veteran
Darksoul

CARD OF THE WEEK Empty
PostSubject: Re: CARD OF THE WEEK   CARD OF THE WEEK EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 4:01 pm

like?
Back to top Go down
MutG
Veteran
MutG

CARD OF THE WEEK Empty
PostSubject: Re: CARD OF THE WEEK   CARD OF THE WEEK EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 4:09 pm

Firstly, for me, it has been the best cover card for quite some time.

It's not just a SIMPLE beatstick. Think about it: It depends on what type of deck you playing. Imagine you play against Agents, Jascha's deck. You manage to get it out, and get a free search from Sangan. Sangan can net you that Effect Veiler that will prevent Hyperion or something from destroying it. Yes, it might get attacked over, but it's unlikely with some back-row or another "intimidating" monster. Next turn, detach another and it's 3000atk. Enough to get over that Hyperion.

Also, you barely said anything negative about it but gave it a 6.
Back to top Go down
Darksoul
Veteran
Darksoul

CARD OF THE WEEK Empty
PostSubject: Re: CARD OF THE WEEK   CARD OF THE WEEK EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 4:51 pm

True, but most of that happens to be circumstantial. As far as the ratings go, I rate them from 1(stuff like D-Hero Departed No ) up to 10(Stuff so damn awesome!!! words cant describe it!):CARD OF THE WEEK The_greatest_yugioh_card_ever_by_kusuguruketsu777-d3bzjax
So 6 is actually not that bad lol.

But anyway, XYZ is still fairly new and we can definitely expect greater things to come from them.
Back to top Go down
Jascha
Jascha

CARD OF THE WEEK Empty
PostSubject: Re: CARD OF THE WEEK   CARD OF THE WEEK EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 6:40 pm

i kinda agree with dd. it has potential and yes you didnt state any downers but dude i already reviewed the card.for some reason the pic isnt showing but its there with xyz veil
Back to top Go down
Jascha
Jascha

CARD OF THE WEEK Empty
PostSubject: Re: CARD OF THE WEEK   CARD OF THE WEEK EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 6:43 pm

but as i read it know i did it before the tcg changes to the ruling
Back to top Go down
Darksoul
Veteran
Darksoul

CARD OF THE WEEK Empty
PostSubject: Re: CARD OF THE WEEK   CARD OF THE WEEK EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 6:44 pm

My bad then, didnt see it there
Back to top Go down
Jascha
Jascha

CARD OF THE WEEK Empty
PostSubject: Re: CARD OF THE WEEK   CARD OF THE WEEK EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 6:45 pm

haha its cool but if you want you can do another card.
Back to top Go down
Darksoul
Veteran
Darksoul

CARD OF THE WEEK Empty
PostSubject: Re: CARD OF THE WEEK   CARD OF THE WEEK EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 6:52 pm

Sure when i have the time, but I think your reviews are more insightful then mines. Once I'm done with exams I'll come back full force for that SA title Cool
Back to top Go down
Jascha
Jascha

CARD OF THE WEEK Empty
PostSubject: Re: CARD OF THE WEEK   CARD OF THE WEEK EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 7:47 pm

haha thanks dude. ok ill do this weeks one.

Its only fitting as the banlist will be official this week for it to be as dd requested.........................

Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of the Beginning
CARD OF THE WEEK BlackLusterSoldier-EnvoyoftheBeginningGLD4-EN-GUR-LE

Attribute LIGHT
Types Warrior/Effect
Level 8
ATK/DEF 3000/2500
Number 72989439
Card Effect Type(s) Summon, Ignition, Trigger

This card cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. This card can only be Special Summoned by removing from play 1 LIGHT and 1 DARK monster in your Graveyard. Once during each of your turns, you can select and activate 1 of the following effects:
● Select 1 monster on the field, and remove it from play. If you activate this effect, this card cannot attack during this turn.
● If this card destroyed your opponent's monster by battle, it can attack once again in a row.

I may have been mistaken by calling Roach BIG DADDY COOL...

ok so he's 3000 atk 2500 def...awesome. 8 star...good. worrier...cool. all that it cool but with his effect you can understand why he has been banned for years! He has one of 2 options per turn. ether he can remove a face up monster from play (so just a big chaos sorc) or if you atk a monster he atk's again. The latter in my opinion is the better of the two only in his case. Most decks tend to leave out there double attackers (glad, sam, ect) as there a wasted card. yes doing more damage takes you that much closer to beating your opponent but generally your opponent has obstacles for you to get around first. BLS is the best double attacker in the game because he has 3000 atk to attack over almost anything on the field and if its something bigger than him or something you cant atk over then remove it. but to summon you need to remove a light and a dark monster from your grave which in our previous format wasnt all that grand. 2011 so far has seen a mixture of attributes. most of the decks running a mash up of attributes making pulling him consistently next to impossible. Which brings me to my biggest point of this, BLS is a format changer!

Most people that saw this coming of the list immediately thought of sworn or twilight to be more specific and i dont blame you coz I did. It's pretty hard to ignore since jd is on 3, trag on 2, necro on 2 and storm and 3 mst's cleaning up backline. Sworn definitely became a consistent and viable deck to add in a BLS. having 4, in the case of twilight 5 or 6 trump cards at your disposal is amazing and could see you putting massive pressure on your opponent every turn.
Here comes the BUT. sworn has been out of the tear for a while coz its lost way to much speed from the previous format. they have gained artillery but that's no use if you cant play them when you need to. so that particular deck in my opinion as a DIE HARD SWORN/TWILIGHT FAN need some work. The interesting thing is that there are still options. chaos dopple is one of the good ones as they are able to currently play sorcerer and as junk and him are worrier throwing in a worrier returning alive could make him a repeat offender.

My view is that the true BLS deck is still to come and with that the 2012 formal will beginning

RATING : 9/10 with the soon removal of backline intense decks i see no problem for him to hit field and cause havock and im sure he will be the game changer in my cases.
ARTWORK: 9/10 the ring of power that ladd and kristya all have started with him and emperor dragon. he is a legend in his own right and that original ring behind him and the impact it has had on the newer cards earns him this score.
Back to top Go down
tHeGaMe

tHeGaMe

CARD OF THE WEEK Empty
PostSubject: Re: CARD OF THE WEEK   CARD OF THE WEEK EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 8:01 pm

one thing to note, he can remove face down monsters with his first effect
Back to top Go down
Darksoul
Veteran
Darksoul

CARD OF THE WEEK Empty
PostSubject: Re: CARD OF THE WEEK   CARD OF THE WEEK EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 8:10 pm

Great review Jasch, couldn't do it better myself(and I tried lol!). Well it's definitely going to be exciting to watch the ways duelists utilize him and the hectic builds that'll be running around with the new list.
Back to top Go down
Jascha
Jascha

CARD OF THE WEEK Empty
PostSubject: Re: CARD OF THE WEEK   CARD OF THE WEEK EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 8:13 pm

sorry game my mistake. and thanks darksoul. same here.
Back to top Go down
Yudheer
Veteran
Yudheer

CARD OF THE WEEK Empty
PostSubject: Re: CARD OF THE WEEK   CARD OF THE WEEK EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 8:18 pm

BLS is awesome and his coming out gives me hope that by next year we'll have access to both envoys Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Tirion
Veteran
Tirion

CARD OF THE WEEK Empty
PostSubject: Re: CARD OF THE WEEK   CARD OF THE WEEK EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 4:34 am

his artwork is the best warrior art next to Freed the brave matchless warrior general. He just looks like someone gonna get hurt real bad when he is around.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

CARD OF THE WEEK Empty
PostSubject: Re: CARD OF THE WEEK   CARD OF THE WEEK Empty

Back to top Go down

CARD OF THE WEEK
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next