Yu-Gi-Oh! South African Trade Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Alex's Deck of the Week 1 - Frog Sea Lancer

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
FrogSage

FrogSage

Alex's Deck of the Week 1 - Frog Sea Lancer Empty
PostSubject: Alex's Deck of the Week 1 - Frog Sea Lancer   Alex's Deck of the Week 1 - Frog Sea Lancer EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 5:11 pm

This is my first article, any constructive critisism is welcomed.
Very Happy So I’ve decided to give the site a littlie bit more attention and start doing a “Deck/Card of the Week” Article. I thought I may as well start with something I know and have been playing at locals a couple weeks now. Anyway, on to Alex’s Deck of the Week!
This weeks Deck of the Week is Frog Lancer/Frognarch Lancer. Frog Lancer is a deck that’s goal is to get Sea Lancer with 2-3 equips and Gachi Gachi on the field, and gain advantage from Sea Lancer and Poison Draw Frog.
Frog Lancer is a deck that plays similar to frog monarch, but instead of Treeborn Frog, Ronintoadin is the main tribute fodder. The deck uses 3 main cards – The first being Sea lancer
Sea lancer – Level 5 WATER
Beast Warrior 1300/1000
You can target any number of banished Fish, Sea Serpent, or Aqua-Type monsters; equip them to this card. This effect can only be used once while this card is face up on the field. If this card would be destroyed, you can destroy 1 of those cards instead. This card gains 1000 ATK while equipped to a monster by this effect.

The Decks Boss monster.
The attack may be low for a one-tribute but that is good in a sense that it can dodge bottomless trap hole. Sea lancer’s effect makes up for it’s low ATK. The effect to protect itself from destruction means it’s like Gachi Gachi Gantetsu, a card which has been used in agents (Shine Ball shenanigans).
The Second of the 3 – Gachi Gachi Gantetsu
Gachi Gachi Gantetsu – Rank 2 Xyz EARTH
Rock 500/1800
If this face-up card would be destroyed, you can detach 1 Xyz material instead. Face-up monsters you control gain 200 ATK/DEF for each Xyz material attached to this card

Card which has been used in agents, and yes it’s good here too. It’s actually much better here. This deck can spam Gachi as much as it wants, the only limitations to this being that you can only play one Pot of avarice, and you can only play 3 copies of Gachi. Gachi also “pumps” monsters so it helps Sea Lancer get over many things.

The last, but not least - Ronintoadin
Ronintoadin WATER
Aqua 100/2000
This card is treated as Des Frog. You can remove from play 1 “Frog” monster in your graveyard to special summon this card. This card cannot be used for a synchro summon.

Without this card, there would be no Frog Lancer deck. Period. Ronintoadin gives the deck access to Gachi Gachi Gantetsu, which I mentioned before. This is the main tribute fodder of the deck. When you activate its effect in the grave, it automatically sets up Sea Lancer plays. Not only will there be something for Sea Lancer to equip to himself, but there will also be a tribute fodder on the field so you can summon Sea Lancer.
Now on to the rest of the deck!
Poison Draw Frog (PDF For short) WATER
Aqua 100/100
When this face-up card is destroyed and sent to the grave, (unless it was attacked face down) You can draw 1 card.

Yes I’m serious. This card is great in this deck (Really its ONLY great in this deck) Fodder for Ronintoadin’s effect. The main reason this is so good is that if it’s equipped to Sea Lancer, after being removed from play (ooops pardon my French “Banished”) by Ronintoadin, if you use Sea lancer’s effect to save himself then Poison Draw Frog… GETS its EFFECT!!
So Sea lancer becomes a +1 (With only one equipped)
Say your opponent plays dark hole while you have Sea Lancer equipped with PDF, your opponent loses their monsters, Sea Lancer loses and equip (PDF) you draw 1 card. So you break even, they lose 1 card (minimum)

Now you may be asking “How do I get these cards into my graveyard?”
Here’s the answer!
Swap Frog (SF for short) WATER
Aqua 1000/500
You can discard 1 WATER monster to special summon this card from your hand. When this card is summoned, send 1 Aqua WATER lvl 2 or lower monster from your deck or your side of the field to the grave. Once per turn you can return 1 monster you control to your hand to get an additional normal summon of another frog monster.

Frog Lancer main, and fastest, way of getting what’s needed into the grave. Basically, for every WATER monster in your hand, you’ll get another in the grave. Key card in the deck. This card fills up the grave with Frog monsters to use as food for Ronintoadin, which, in turn, means food for Sea Lancer.
Now on to the searchers of the deck!
Sangan (I’m not giving the effect as everyone knows what it does)
Searches anything (with the exception of monarchs) even Sea Lancer!
Dupe Frog WATER
100/2000 Aqua
Treated as Des Frog. Your opponent cannot select another card as an attack target. When this card is sent to the grave, search another frog monster.

Searches Swap Frog, which is top priority early game. Can create a lock. (2 Dupe = opponent cant attack)
Mother Grizzly
When destroyed in battle, Special Summon 1 WATER monster with 1500 or less ATK in ATK mode.
It can search practically anything. (Sea Lancer, Swap Frog etc) But being a battle searcher, it’s not so great this format.
Salvage – spell
Add 2 WATER monsters with 1500 or less ATK in your grave to your hand.

Amazing card in the deck. You can recycle Sea Lancer, while getting a +1. Salvage also allows you to dump faster using Swap Frog.
So the basic strategy here is to dump Ronintoadin and PDF into the grave via swap frog, then plus off Sea Lancer while spamming Gachi.

Other cards that may also be useful:
Treeborn Frog – It’s not the main tribute fodder, but it is a tribute fodder. Many times has this deck been saved by getting that free tribute fodder.
Caius, the Shadow Monarch – With so much fodder generation, adding a couple monarchs will do nothing but help the deck. Adding too many can seriously harm the consistency.
Creature Swap – With so many “Swappable” monsters, it’s one of those “Why Not?” cards, but it also can end up winning you the game.
Enemy Controller – Combos with Treeborn. Taking the opponents Black Luster Soldier, using the remove effect then tributing for a monarch is just too funny.

I’ve been playing this deck for a while now, and it’s my favorite deck. This deck is so cheap it’s disgusting. 90% of the cards being common. The deck has many strengths, but also has weaknesses. But come on, what deck doesn’t?
Frog Lancer is definitely not an “Auto pilot” deck, it also isn’t a deck that you can just pick up and play. It takes experience and practice with it in order for it to become good.
Weaknesses:
Early game Chain Disappearance on Swap Frog. If you don’t have your grave set up or a Lancer in hand – You’re in trouble.
Consistency – Definitely the biggest weakness, bad hands can be devastating, avoid over side decking.
Power Filter Shuts the deck down early game.
Summon Limit early game, this deck summons Swap Frog 3-4 in the first few turns. You also Xyz into rank 2s each turn and tribute for monarchs.
Favorable Match Ups: (in order of most to least)
Piper/ level one decks
Frog Lancer
Agents (Depending if that person knows how to play against Frog Lancer)
Lightsworn/chaos variants
Unfavorable Match Ups: (most to least)
Macro
Dino Rabbit
Agent (If person knows dropping Kristya will win them the game)
Glads

Thanks for Reading My First “Deck of the Week!!”
Very Happy Read My next “Deck of the Week”!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
dragonite
dragonite

PostSubject: Re: Alex's Deck of the Week 1 - Frog Sea Lancer   Alex's Deck of the Week 1 - Frog Sea Lancer EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 11:42 am

If you're going to call it a deck of the week can't you include a decklist?

Nice add on the weaknesses and strengths of the deck although it can be countered by changing up your deckbuild. I know you been playign them long but the more you focus on making it a Frog Deck rather than using them only as an engine doesn't that make them easier to counter?
Back to top Go down
FrogSage

FrogSage

PostSubject: Thanks for reading   Alex's Deck of the Week 1 - Frog Sea Lancer EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 2:33 pm

Oops forg0t to include a sample decklist:
3 Sea Lancer
3 Swap frog
2 treeborn
2-3 ronin
2-3 pdf
3 dupe
2-3 cauis
0-1 ladd
3 enemy con
2-3 creature swap
3 salvage
2-3 mst
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Alex's Deck of the Week 1 - Frog Sea Lancer   Alex's Deck of the Week 1 - Frog Sea Lancer Empty

Back to top Go down

Alex's Deck of the Week 1 - Frog Sea Lancer
Page 1 of 1