Yu-Gi-Oh! South African Trade Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Trends in the meta : special summoning

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Bomps

Bomps

Trends in the meta : special summoning Empty
PostSubject: Trends in the meta : special summoning   Trends in the meta : special summoning EmptySat Jan 07, 2012 9:25 pm

Hey guys, I've decided to start a new series of articles which discuss different aspects of yugioh and how you, the yugioh player, can take advantage of it. So without further ado here's todays article: special summoning. Obviously, special summonig plays a huge part this format, whether it's syncroing, xyz, fusions or even just effect monsters. Many popular decks today incorporate special summoning, and it is the reason they win duels. Some of the most powerful cards are powerful because they special summon things( tgu, rescue rabbit, lonefire blossom etc). Special summoning is powerful because many of the games most devastating monsters can only be special summoned, and it bypasses the 'once per turn' clause of normal summoning. Ok, so far, all I told you was that special summoning is powerful and that it wins games. Now how does this help you in any way? Well, seeings as special summoning is the main way some of the most powerful decks win, then, obviously, stopping them from special summoning will obviously shut them down, and allow you to take over control. Nice. So, how do we stop special summons? Hhhhmmmmmmmhhh tough one. Well, not actually. Many of you already incorporate cards that stop them. Here are some common cards that stop special summons:
Bottomless trap hole
Torrential tribute
Effect veiler
Maxx "c"
Thunder king rai oh
Solemn warning
Etc
See? I told you you play those cards already. You little genius you. Well done Smile. Now, to business. Normally, you would use these cards to your advantage and take control of duels while building up your options to defeat your opponent. BUT! Your opponent isn't an idiot. He will play around your cards, and find ways to make you waste them on little things. For exampe: my opponent summons a reborn tengu while I have a face down monster and a face down solemn warning. Now, depending on the situation, you would either have to solemn warning the tengu, wait for an out, or let it beat your face. That simple one card move from your opponent is basically forcing you to waste one of the strongest game changing cards. My point is, if you have an out, great, but if you don't, you'll be forced to waste a solemn warning on a 1 card investment from your opponent instead of using it on one of the more bigger, game changing monsters. Damn. Basically what I'm saying is that a good player would force you to waste your outs on minor stuff while hoarding big stuff in their hand that can end you. Scary thought. Well, if you want an to have an edge over your opponent, then there are various options that can stop your oppnents special summons:
Fossil dyna pachycephalo
Vanitys fiend
Vanitys emporer
Archlord kristya
Vanities emptiness
Jowgen the spiritualist
Barrier statues
Etc
theses cards help you with situations like the one I stated above. Even if your forced to waste your powerful cards because you don't have a choice, you can still have back-ups that are hard for your opponent to deal with. Let's look back at the previous scenario: you have solemn warnig'd the tengu, and on your turn you tribute your facedown monster and summon vanities fiend. Now the ball is in your court. Many decks don't have outs besides their traps which there aren't much of (thank heavy storm), and their staples like dark hole etc. So, now your opponent is forced to waste things on your big thing they can't get over, and if they don't have an out anytime soon you get too beat face and grind out advantage, so that when they do have an out, you are already so far ahead that its inconsequential. Another side deck tech that's gaining popularity is vanitys enptiness. Its a trap that stops special summons for 3 turns. the nice thing about it is that you can chain it to your opponents plays, so you can stop them dead in their tracks and maybe even gain advantage in the process. Nice. And what's even better is that it dies after 3 turns, so that you can start your special summoning spree after it dies. Also, you can do your special summoning thing, then activate this to "clinch the deal" by stopping potential gorz plays. You are probably thinking "but bomps! That's so amazing! Ill never lose with those things stopping my opponent!" You, sir(or madam), are wrong. There are downsides to these cards. The cards can become dead in your hand. They are useless if you draw into them after your opponents big push. And, the worst of all, they allow your opponent to draw their strong plays. Once they have an out, they'll kill your anti special summon card, then just go on a huge special summoning binge that'll leave you unable to eat corn flakes for the next few days. And I know you like your corn flakes. But! Don't let these paltry downsides put you off, because, actually, they don't happen that often. So, I hope this little article helped you in learning different ways to stop your opponenets plays, and ways to take control of the game. Until next time, asta la vista, baby.
Now I want corn flakes.
Back to top Go down
irshaad

irshaad

PostSubject: Re: Trends in the meta : special summoning   Trends in the meta : special summoning EmptySun Jan 08, 2012 2:59 am

Brilliant article bra really enjoyed it, Now for some corn flakes Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MutG
Veteran
MutG

PostSubject: Re: Trends in the meta : special summoning   Trends in the meta : special summoning EmptySun Jan 08, 2012 7:25 am

Awesome article. On the note of Tengu, there is almost never a time that you are not going to Solemn Warning it.
Back to top Go down
FrogSage

FrogSage

PostSubject: Awesome article!   Trends in the meta : special summoning EmptySun Jan 08, 2012 7:47 am

Awesome article, keep it up!
Back to top Go down
dragonite
dragonite

PostSubject: Re: Trends in the meta : special summoning   Trends in the meta : special summoning EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 11:52 am

Good read Bomps. But I feel that you extrapolate more on why certain cards are used to counter special summoning, how effective they are and in what decks various options can be used.

And why doesn't anyone actually generate conversation? Likes are like fake posts.

Something you missed was that decks which rely on special summoning to win usually don't play the blanket preventions and aim for those one hits that are so splashable. The more lockdownish controlling decks aim for that second list.

I played Jowgen on Saturda Smile
Back to top Go down
Bomps

Bomps

PostSubject: Re: Trends in the meta : special summoning   Trends in the meta : special summoning EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 7:33 am

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah I kinda meant that in the article but couldn't put into words, so that actually helps those who read the article. Thanks bro
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trends in the meta : special summoning   Trends in the meta : special summoning Empty

Back to top Go down

Trends in the meta : special summoning
Page 1 of 1