Yu-Gi-Oh! South African Trade Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Cape Town Rankings

Go down 
+5
Tirion
Dispised
MutG
_M_a_X_
dragonite
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
dragonite
dragonite

Cape Town Rankings Empty
PostSubject: Cape Town Rankings   Cape Town Rankings EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 10:59 am

I'm making a new thread because it's a new format. The rankings goes on "adjusted win percentage" which promotes continued attendance over hit and runs. The points column is incomplete, I only added it now.

Cape Town Rankings 7wk0p2sqi9kjldkyplu5

Back to top Go down
_M_a_X_

_M_a_X_

Cape Town Rankings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cape Town Rankings   Cape Town Rankings EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 11:06 am

<_<

Too much FB, was looking for a like button...
Back to top Go down
MutG
Veteran
MutG

Cape Town Rankings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cape Town Rankings   Cape Town Rankings EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 11:15 am

WOW. Good job, Uqail! So tight. I always thought it would be.
Back to top Go down
MutG
Veteran
MutG

Cape Town Rankings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cape Town Rankings   Cape Town Rankings EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 11:17 am

With regards to Wednesday's tournament, do you want results for that, too?
Back to top Go down
_M_a_X_

_M_a_X_

Cape Town Rankings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cape Town Rankings   Cape Town Rankings EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 1:24 pm

After learning that Nationals are open to anyone, are the rankings just for boasting rights?
Back to top Go down
Dispised
Admin
Dispised

Cape Town Rankings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cape Town Rankings   Cape Town Rankings EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 1:34 pm

_M_a_X_ wrote:
After learning that Nationals are open to anyone, are the rankings just for boasting rights?

effectively yeah. buuut i think we should implement a system of sorts for those ranked players that are consistents.
Back to top Go down
https://saforum.darkbb.com
Tirion
Veteran
Tirion

Cape Town Rankings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cape Town Rankings   Cape Town Rankings EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 3:11 pm

Wouldn't be nice to have a national ranking system in place based on percentage of wins. We have our local weekly league in durban you got yours in CPT and PTA adds these on occasion could it be possible to put everyone onto a single national ranking?
Back to top Go down
_M_a_X_

_M_a_X_

Cape Town Rankings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cape Town Rankings   Cape Town Rankings EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 3:21 pm

Don't think that would work as the level of competition may be different in their respective regions. There needs to be a "common ground" to pool the results together.

How about a tourney where the top 4 in each region play each other over duelingnetwork?
Back to top Go down
Sabbaticus
Admin
Sabbaticus

Cape Town Rankings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cape Town Rankings   Cape Town Rankings EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 6:57 pm

_M_a_X_ wrote:
Don't think that would work as the level of competition may be different in their respective regions. There needs to be a "common ground" to pool the results together.

How about a tourney where the top 4 in each region play each other over duelingnetwork?

Wow this is an amazing idea. Having a national type event over Duel Network with a strict TCG only list. But not just top 4, we could do more and make it the National Top 30 ranking or however many players wish to join in. It world certain give the different regions a chance to duel one another and DN runs just about exactly like irl play. Either everyone in one pool or each region plays it out on DN and the top players in each region from that go into a final round. I'm all for this Very Happy

Last edited by Sabbaticus on Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jascha
Jascha

Cape Town Rankings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cape Town Rankings   Cape Town Rankings EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 7:00 pm

dude i really like dueling network as well but there is a reason y the tcg is played along side the game version at worlds rather than having one torn only on the game.

I think its possible. Yes there are differences in meta and level of play from area to area but a regional champ is a regional champ non the less and so should be true for a high ranking player being equal to another with the same rank in a different area. if you look at soccer for example. if bafana bafana are ranked high enaf in africa then they qualify for the world cup. that means that even though African soccer may be at a lower level than England but the fact remains that they are equals in rank for that region to who ever that made it at the same rank to qualify.

First off we would need a generic ranking system. I like the percentage. i dont understand the adjustment though. Im asuming its there to level off the "hit and runs" as you said so that they are true reflections of regular play. If its giving a pretty accurate score then I dont see why we cant adopt it. the question is who is going to adopt the system and implement it in the other regions?
Back to top Go down
Sabbaticus
Admin
Sabbaticus

Cape Town Rankings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cape Town Rankings   Cape Town Rankings EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 7:13 pm

Different meta is irrelavent. Each region has it's own meta but then comes Nationals and you have to know what to expect and/or prepare for anything. So DN would be no different in terms of meta than something like Nationals for example, unless it comes down to money cards in which case that evens the playing field. And yeah a high ranking player would be equal in terms of qualification to another high ranking player.

But I'm confused, do you mean a ranking system for this DN event or working off a ranking system to qualify for it. Because I think it should be like Nationals where a number of people can enter, I would hate to miss the chance. So far I seem to be the only one keeping track of the Pta locals so I'll keep that up and whenever I don't attend I'll get someone who does to give me the results. Different people attend locals each week at our locals so it's really hard to peg the top players.

Last edited by Sabbaticus on Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jascha
Jascha

Cape Town Rankings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cape Town Rankings   Cape Town Rankings EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 7:30 pm

sorry that msg was in response to max. and i was slamming the dn idea. it would be fun but there are to many issues with that. one is time. everyone needs to be online at the same time. yes we can use just one pc but that means the torn will go on for ever. 2 is implementing rulings and judging. you can quiry with dn but there is no live common judge to make a decision. and inconsistency. it will be farly easy to cheat. not with the cards being played but will outside interference. having a common gathering to do this dn torn with judges available would help but i can safely say durban will fall short on pc's with internet access at one location to host this.

this is a tcg (trading card game) at the end of the day. if you wana put together an online league then no prob we can do that but with regard to the tcg competitive play i think that should be played in person. face to face dueling its the reason y most of us still play it even though we're on dn
Back to top Go down
Yudheer
Veteran
Yudheer

Cape Town Rankings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cape Town Rankings   Cape Town Rankings EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 7:33 pm

Dueling in reality and dueling network are two completely different beasts, leave the rankings as they are and at nationals the guys can do what ever they want
Back to top Go down
Jascha
Jascha

Cape Town Rankings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cape Town Rankings   Cape Town Rankings EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 7:40 pm

dheer dont you think having a national scale ranking system would be cool. its one step closer to creating a national scale event thats purely privatized. run by the players. think about it. and anyway knowing your rank extends past just durban means that there is room for the up and coming to reach towards national torns. The qualitication system always brought more players in than a open event. its more hype. more prestige and more at stake.
Back to top Go down
Sabbaticus
Admin
Sabbaticus

Cape Town Rankings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cape Town Rankings   Cape Town Rankings EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 8:03 pm

You mention time issues and judging issues but I would think this would run just like any other gaming league. I play Starcraft II and on the DGL you get matched up and you and your opponent arrange a time to meet up and play your match, then you post your results on the forum, and that goes for each match up. Each game gets one or more observers, to oversee the match and maybe any ruling issues, or just people interested in watching the duel. This is would be no different as DN does have a watch function, as well as in-game moderators should their be any ruling dispute, not to mention we'd be online meaning we can just look up the ruling in a second and copy/paste the link, I do this often. So meeting up for a match-up is easy, observing/judging/rulings is easy. What it comes down to is if people WANT to do it. In my opinion the format is the same, the ban list is the same, I know gameplay is a bit different but it does provide a possibility for a national scale ranking, even if unofficial, but it certainly would be interesting. I for one would love to see how I fair vs Dbn, Jhb and CT players.

I was a tournament director on Duelcity for online play on YGO3, mostly team events. If people are interested I could help organise this. There is still regional rankings and Nationals, this is just an opportunity to see duels that would otherwise be impossible, or impractical I should say.

Last edited by Sabbaticus on Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Yudheer
Veteran
Yudheer

Cape Town Rankings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cape Town Rankings   Cape Town Rankings EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 8:57 pm

A national unified ranking does seem like a better idea but as it stands there are too many problems with it as you all have pointed out above. Friendly duels on DN is all good and well but a full blown tournament will be foolish as there are many differences to real play and simulated play, like someone pointed out above with the world championships and game worlds. The best thing you'll can do is continue our rankings as it is right now , maybe alter it to make it most similar to each other region's and have them all under one thread side by side.
Back to top Go down
Tirion
Veteran
Tirion

Cape Town Rankings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cape Town Rankings   Cape Town Rankings EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 3:58 am

I think after all this game has been through we need to focus on the TCG, so energy should be better spent host and managing local tourny as the state of the game is not at a stage were we can have all kinds of events. So I am against DN tournys. Also I have stated before I don't have internet access on a PC, so not fair to me and many others.

I think that a national ranking system will be awesome to motivate people to up there game and come to local tournys. I do understand that there is a lot of differences between each place but I think if we sit down discuss the rules of the system we should be able to come to agree and set it up.

Back to top Go down
dragonite
dragonite

Cape Town Rankings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cape Town Rankings   Cape Town Rankings EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 6:22 am

While I think that this is a nice idea I can say that most of our players do not have access to internet at a computer. They wouldn't bother to go through the effort either for no reason other than to play. There is a different fun to playing online than their is irl and CT people are definitely irlers.

And on a personal note I don't like using DN too much. I suck at the etiquette and dexterity that people play with because I don't play any games online. Or even any other games.
Back to top Go down
_M_a_X_

_M_a_X_

Cape Town Rankings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cape Town Rankings   Cape Town Rankings EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 11:49 am

I just suggested the DN tourney for the "national" rankings, not to start a full blown tournament which would take up a lot of resources and time. If we do simply pool together all the results, everyone's rankings would still be the same in ratio to where they rank locally, i.e. the top third of each region would still be in the top third of the national rating. I guess the attendance factor could change it up a bit and might draw people into participating, but not for me. I don't see the prestige and allure in it.

I hate to admit it, but I agree with Yudheer's suggestion running the 3 ranking sets side by side.
Back to top Go down
dragonite
dragonite

Cape Town Rankings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cape Town Rankings   Cape Town Rankings EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 1:34 pm

_M_a_X_ wrote:
I just suggested the DN tourney for the "national" rankings, not to start a full blown tournament which would take up a lot of resources and time. If we do simply pool together all the results, everyone's rankings would still be the same in ratio to where they rank locally, i.e. the top third of each region would still be in the top third of the national rating. I guess the attendance factor could change it up a bit and might draw people into participating, but not for me. I don't see the prestige and allure in it.

I hate to admit it, but I agree with Yudheer's suggestion running the 3 ranking sets side by side.
Ah I was reading it differently. I understood it as a tournament-esque event for the top of the bottom to be top of the top. If it's simply to calculate some standings then the current way is better.
Back to top Go down
Yudheer
Veteran
Yudheer

Cape Town Rankings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cape Town Rankings   Cape Town Rankings EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 4:18 pm

_M_a_X_ wrote:

Resentment why?
Back to top Go down
Treven

Treven

Cape Town Rankings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cape Town Rankings   Cape Town Rankings EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 5:37 pm

Dn is no substitute for real playing , I dont know about anyone else but i feel winning a match sometimes depends on reading your opponets facial expression ,tone of voice ,unusual movement etc, you wanna use dueling network why not stop buying yugioh cards altogether
Back to top Go down
_M_a_X_

_M_a_X_

Cape Town Rankings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cape Town Rankings   Cape Town Rankings EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 5:42 pm

@Yudheer, just didn't think I'd see eye to eye with you after the stardust dragon and laggia thing. But I guess people will always have their own opinions, so moving foreword...

@Treven, I suggested the DN thing as a way to make a platform for a national ranking system. It would've saved lots of money on traveling costs if we were to play each other. Also being in South Africa where the player base is so limited that you can't even play-test against other popular themes like HEROs or other unique decks. You actually learn a lot more cards and combos online than in our local tournaments.
Back to top Go down
MutG
Veteran
MutG

Cape Town Rankings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cape Town Rankings   Cape Town Rankings EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 6:06 pm

Dueling Network doesn't work. I don't like the idea.
Back to top Go down
Sabbaticus
Admin
Sabbaticus

Cape Town Rankings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cape Town Rankings   Cape Town Rankings EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 6:07 pm

Treven wrote:
Dn is no substitute for real playing , I dont know about anyone else but i feel winning a match sometimes depends on reading your opponets facial expression ,tone of voice ,unusual movement etc, you wanna use dueling network why not stop buying yugioh cards altogether

No one was suggesting that it is a substitute. DN is for testing decks, practicing, and being able to just play when you otherwise wouldn't be able to. Like locals are each Sat, but lets say I feel like playing this wednesday evening, I can just jump on DN. So DN is just a filler and an aid to playing irl. But since you mentioned reading facial expressions etc, you'd be amazed at how many tells there are when playing online, I've been playing online for a year and a half now and there are alot of things that can give you a read on your opponent.

But yeah, DN is obviously no substitite. The allure of it is not the prestige, it is the fact that it makes certain impractical duels possible. Like an unofficial game with Pta vs CT for example. Certain things like that, which would be fun to witness and otherwise just not possible irl.

EDIT: I also like the idea of running the rankings for each region side by side. I'll do my best to get all the Pta results.

Last edited by Sabbaticus on Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cape Town Rankings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cape Town Rankings   Cape Town Rankings Empty

Back to top Go down

Cape Town Rankings
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next