Yu-Gi-Oh! South African Trade Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

CARD OF THE WEEK

Go down 
+6
Yudheer
tHeGaMe
MutG
Darksoul
Tirion
Jascha
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Darksoul
Veteran
Darksoul

CARD OF THE WEEK - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: CARD OF THE WEEK   CARD OF THE WEEK - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 14, 2011 2:42 pm

Wow, Thanks Sabbaticus for clearing all that up. They really did change quite a few rulings and texts but nothing looks major thankfully.
Back to top Go down
Tirion
Veteran
Tirion

PostSubject: Re: CARD OF THE WEEK   CARD OF THE WEEK - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 14, 2011 3:13 pm

Yo there are ever card text changes on Normal Monsters. For eg. Elemental Hero Bustinerix don't say she is the only female EHERO and my favorite the Dark Magician's text reads as follows,

'The Ultimate Wizard in terms of Support'
Back to top Go down
Darksoul
Veteran
Darksoul

PostSubject: Re: CARD OF THE WEEK   CARD OF THE WEEK - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 5:41 pm

Why Tirion? Why?
Back to top Go down
Yudheer
Veteran
Yudheer

PostSubject: Re: CARD OF THE WEEK   CARD OF THE WEEK - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 8:22 pm

No one knows why, no one
Back to top Go down
Jascha
Jascha

PostSubject: Card of the week september week 3   CARD OF THE WEEK - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 7:15 pm

Yo dudes its that time. SOrry for this being late. WOrk is a killer.

I actually didnt play much ygo in the past week so nothing that stood out there and i think i covered all the cards that stood out for me in generations so how about a card that i feel has shaped the future of the game.

Pot Of Duality
CARD OF THE WEEK - Page 3 300px-PotofDualityDREV-EN-ScR-1E

Type Spell Card
Property Normal

Reveal the top 3 cards of your Deck, add 1 of them to your hand, then shuffle the rest back into your Deck. You can only activate 1 "Pot of Duality" per turn. You cannot Special Summon a monster(s) during the turn you activate this card.

Now to be honest i was a skeptic of this card for a long time. I understood how it worked and how it would make a difference but only once you get your hands on them and its in a deck can you see the impact it will make. POD's effect is simple reveal the top 3 cards of your deck pick one, add it to your hand and shuffle the rest back (absolutely amazing). Then you cannot use another POD or special summon which is the part that made me worry about the effectiveness of it, as most of the decks I had played were heavy on the special summon (sworn, flamvell, quickdraw sychro ect).

But my error was in the thinking of the use of this card. I viewed it as a speed card as the adding to your hand is basically a draw (like upstart) but on the contrary. POD is there to create consistency. Just like D Draw, Allure and Trade in, these cards were created to improve consistency by get rid of a monster you didnt need and replace itself and that monster with 2 fresh resources to use. POD dose the same but alot better in my opinion because you dont need to get rid on anything else in your hand that could be used in the future, you get to pick out of the top 3 rather than drawing 2 cards that could be useless at that time and you dont need a specific cost for it like a level 8 monster or destiny hero.

The down said is not being able to create a play for that turn as you cant special summon but that's ok. Giving you that turn to rack up resources you needs means that all you need to do is defend on that turn and the next you can set up a big play. Instantly making low consistency decks that need specific cards for plays jump up the ranks. As Iv seen, it works best in decks that need a turn to create there main play anyway and decks that use another draw card in them. Eg, Agent. They need a dead turn to start up the engine anyway as earth needs to search out venus and there isnt much you can do with a 1000 atk tuner that you need to normal summon...so why not sacrifice your special summon to confirm domination the next turn. Sworns the same. y not let go of a special summon early game to POD and Recharge so you can confirm an OTK move later in the game. I wouldnt wana see what the fully fledged DAD deck could have did with this card in there arsenal and there strong Stratos first turn setup (tear 0 nah make that tear -1).

It can also be used in 2 other instances. In getting out of sticky situations. Getting the right card when on the back foot is key to worming a victory out of your opponent. POD will help you do that. The second is securing your victory. Once in a strong advantage you may need the right backline, that targeting card to get through a reaper or even something to stop that looming JD your opponent could have in his hand. POD could help with that to.

But POD can be added to any deck in general. In my opinion is our new age staple And now that its mass produced everyone can play that much better a deck.

Rating : 9/10 the one short is for the no special summon and/or the no 2 POD's in same turn issue but we all know if it didnt have ether of those we could have had another card to join the $300+ ranks.

Artwork 9/10 Im also waiting for the alternate are greed forward version.
Back to top Go down
dragonite
dragonite

PostSubject: Re: CARD OF THE WEEK   CARD OF THE WEEK - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 8:48 am

Some excellent reviews! Glad to see you guys hanging in there and keeping the forum alive. I just intended to pop in but ya-all made wanne right something. Have you guys been approached to write for yugioh.co.za and if not would you be interested in doing so? I don't think we wanna direct traffic from one site to the other but if things were posted there with link backs for discussion here that'd be great.
Back to top Go down
Jascha
Jascha

PostSubject: Re: CARD OF THE WEEK   CARD OF THE WEEK - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 9:49 am

awesome. id love to. just let me know
Back to top Go down
Jascha
Jascha

PostSubject: Card of the week October week 1   CARD OF THE WEEK - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 9:09 pm

I missed last weeks one unfortunitly. but Here's my review for this week

This was inspired by a particular duelest in Durban. This is one of his most devistating cards and the way it pulls together in his decks always amazes me. Its not new, and not a secret, everyone plays one but in my opionion shouldnt be forgoten with the new XYZ out as its one of the best cards created. Thats what made me right this.

Stardust Dragon
CARD OF THE WEEK - Page 3 300px-StardustDragonTU06-EN-R-UE

Attribute WIND
Types Dragon/Synchro/Effect
Level 8
ATK/DEF 2500/2000
Number 44508094
Card Effect Types Quick, Trigger

I doubt there is any player unfamiliar with Stardust and everyone as 1 or 2 or even 3. Undoubtedly the best main character card around. The card has been everywhere. Printed in every rarity other than rare and one of the most powerful tools an extra deck has.

So you may ask why stardust? everyone knows its good and everyone has won a game from it.

Well I picked Stardust this week because of our current banlist.

We Just experienced a major shift from heavy backline investments with warnings, bottomless trap hole, dimensional prisons and even at times seventools of the bandit to counter them. To now being a more moderate one with mystical space typhoon on 3 and heavy storm back. One would think the Bigger and Badder monsters around have and easier time. Which is true except in the case of one said Duelest.

Said duelest has been doing extremely well at every locals he had taken part in from regionals this year. He has been racking up wins consistently. Yes he has invested well into his deck. Gaining everything possibly needed to run it as competitively as can be but i think the main secret to his winning streak is in the facet that he has easy access to the best sychro monster out. STARDUST DRAGON.

Being able to pull of a stardust easily and combining that with our last format take on backline and the spell/trao destruction of this format creates a huge defensive strategy that is extremely hard to get around. Yes there are cards that can take care of a stardust in modern day. Such being trushilia, dimensional prison, and chaos sorccerer. But how effective are these when said deck could be running a full backline, mst's and vailers. Unfortunately the odds are not in your favour.

The key i feel is Stardust. it can protect itself and you backline from destruction and your backline can do the same for stardust. Remember Stardust gives you easy +1's over your opponent because they are free negates (his special summon effect at end phase). all is needed is to maintain that for a +- 2 turn slow momentum build in your favor and game is around the corner. The best example of this is the old DAD decks. They pulled stardust generally in the first turn and from then on just defended the sychros till dad it field for game. Its simple.

The most amazing part is that there are may decks out that can pull a stardust easily and possibly make the investment into playing aggressive backline to protect it but many havnt chosen this option. As I see it its because of there being more "Menacing", advantage bringing cards out there which are offensive and going on a strategic defensive strategy dosnt seem like the right play. Why win 4 turns down when i could try to do it in 2. Or why pull a stardust when you have access to a scrap dragon or even at times trush or brio. It will obviously depend on the situation but the general decision that I have even made is when in advantage make it as big as possible rather than switching strategy and securing a solid wall of defense to sail you to the win.

No one needed a lesson on how good stardust is but this is just a reminder that even though more and more powerful cards come out all the time and the meta changes to suet a deck or two there are still cards that have been released that are ahead of there time. All is needed is the vision to use them to there maximum potential.

Rating : 10/10 if it got any better it would be banned

Artwork : 10/10 kunami put a lot of work into this one. AND IT COMES IN ULTIMATE

Back to top Go down
_M_a_X_

_M_a_X_

PostSubject: Re: CARD OF THE WEEK   CARD OF THE WEEK - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 9:39 pm

I freaking love Stardust Dragon, I use it every game myself and didn't realize its importance.
I use it with barrier statue of the stormwinds and swords of revealing light. It buys me time to setup my dark Simorgh lock or I just gain advantage by attacking and poking life points. I recycle my swords too...
I also rely heavily on my back row as I don't have any monster effects that destroy cards like DaD and Master Hyperion.
Indeed stardust is a MVP in my deck, but it's a generic lvl8 synchro that goes well in any deck.
Back to top Go down
Yudheer
Veteran
Yudheer

PostSubject: Re: CARD OF THE WEEK   CARD OF THE WEEK - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 9:54 pm

Its a terrible card, too overpowered and was so far ahead of it's time. I mean seriously wtf was konami thinking with this one...
Back to top Go down
_M_a_X_

_M_a_X_

PostSubject: Re: CARD OF THE WEEK   CARD OF THE WEEK - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 10:04 pm

What were they thinking bringing back BLS?!?! O_o

if you want to speak about broken cards, evolkaiser lagia...
Back to top Go down
dragonite
dragonite

PostSubject: Re: CARD OF THE WEEK   CARD OF THE WEEK - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 10, 2011 6:30 am

Yudheer wrote:
Its a terrible card, too overpowered and was so far ahead of it's time. I mean seriously wtf was konami thinking with this one...
QFE. Almost all the best synchros came from the first releases when they made broken cards to promote synchros.

I agree that it makes for a good strategy as Jascha noted but there are too many things that don't destroy that can handle this.
Back to top Go down
Yudheer
Veteran
Yudheer

PostSubject: Re: CARD OF THE WEEK   CARD OF THE WEEK - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 10, 2011 7:43 am

_M_a_X_ wrote:
What were they thinking bringing back BLS?!?! O_o

if you want to speak about broken cards, evolkaiser lagia...

Lagia is broken? damn straight Lagia is broken, dinosaurs have had NOTHING from the very beginning of the game. Hydrogeddon and the possibly the worst structure deck ever is all they could lay claim too for far too long. Jurracs were not even an archtype but like filler for the Duel Terminals so Lagia needed to be broken, at least be happy his effect doesn't require 1 material at a time.

Back to top Go down
_M_a_X_

_M_a_X_

PostSubject: Re: CARD OF THE WEEK   CARD OF THE WEEK - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 10, 2011 8:35 am

I'm not talking about themes now, just one card that's broken. You complain about stardust being over powered but agree on Lagia? I don't see your logic as anyone can splash in some vanilla dino beatsticks and rescue bunny.

Only thing that can stop it is a warning or damage step eff.
Stardust gets run over by big monsters or Gale, bounced or banished.

Don't get me started on unsupported archetypes, dino's don't even make the top 5 in pojo's polls.
Back to top Go down
tHeGaMe

tHeGaMe

PostSubject: Re: CARD OF THE WEEK   CARD OF THE WEEK - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 10, 2011 9:09 am

lolpojo

... someone was gonna do it so it might as well be me Razz
Back to top Go down
Yudheer
Veteran
Yudheer

PostSubject: Re: CARD OF THE WEEK   CARD OF THE WEEK - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 10, 2011 10:47 am

Didn't know this was pojo and you right dino's don't make the top 5 least supported arch-types and that may just be because they didn't have an arch-type until very recently.Laggia requires dinosaurs, 2 dinosaurs, to exceed that's type specific, rabbit or no rabbit. Stardust is as generic as monster reborn.Laggia also only negates a single effect after that its a sitting duck, i don't really see its materials re-attaching in the end phase now does it? Also what pojo votes doesn't hold any merit what so ever, it was the same idiots who voted for acid golem over cards such as shock ruler and big eye.
Back to top Go down
_M_a_X_

_M_a_X_

PostSubject: Re: CARD OF THE WEEK   CARD OF THE WEEK - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 10, 2011 11:14 am

Does pojo not have the largest amount of active users?

The poll was for under-supported archetypes, so if it didnt have any support, it would've been on the list.

Lagia is practically a guaranteed plus one, not stardust.
Back to top Go down
Yudheer
Veteran
Yudheer

PostSubject: Re: CARD OF THE WEEK   CARD OF THE WEEK - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 10, 2011 11:45 am

Dinosaurs didn't have an arch-type, you need to have an arch-type to be under supported in the first place.
Pojo may have the largest number of users but i do believe quantity does not hold validity over decisions, plus have you been on Pojo? majority of there users are useless as hell, duelists who can't even build a deck without the netting of decks. Users who don't even know 60+ cards found in a booster, these are definitely not the people who i would like to rely on as people "the voice" in yugioh.
Stardust too is practically a plus one in most cases and what is worse it can cause plus 1's on every turn leading to major advantage.
Lagia if summoned from the grave is just a beater, stardust if summoned from the grave can start it's insanity once more.
Lagia is part of the dinosaur type( again not arch-type, type )giving it great support such as Jurassic world and the even more broken survival instinct, not forgetting gems like tail swipe and hunting instinct.
Strdust however benefits from every single dragon support in the game which includes monstrous cards such as REDMD,KM Drago and even stuff like card of safe return.
Going back to your " not talking about themes " judging them on their own just makes it worse. Stardust is generic. Stardust is repetitive. Stardust has higher attack. Stardust is actually splash able
Back to top Go down
Sabbaticus
Admin
Sabbaticus

PostSubject: Re: CARD OF THE WEEK   CARD OF THE WEEK - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 10, 2011 1:25 pm

I absolutely agree with Yudeer that dino's NEEDED Laggia, and they also have another one now - Evolzar Dolkka, also amazing. The only thing that sucks about them is with Rescue Rabbit any deck can splash them. So now a deck can just splash powerful/broken cards like Rescue Rabbit, Tourguide, BLS without being any sort of "Type" whatsoever. Meaning Laggia and Dolkka aren't restricted to Dino decks now. But I'm glad Dino's got awesome cards to make up for how weak their support is. I freaking love Jurracs, I have 3 builds online and they actually do very well.

Stardust is not broken, it's just very good. And he is mostly used for protection to either see following plays through or decrease the number of plays your opponent can make. Laggia is broken, but it's brokenness evens out in a lower tier deck like dino's.
Back to top Go down
Darksoul
Veteran
Darksoul

PostSubject: Re: CARD OF THE WEEK   CARD OF THE WEEK - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 23, 2011 3:16 pm

Yo Jascha, Whens the next review?
Back to top Go down
Yudheer
Veteran
Yudheer

PostSubject: Re: CARD OF THE WEEK   CARD OF THE WEEK - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 23, 2011 5:23 pm

Sabbaticus wrote:
I freaking love Jurracs.

me too but can't get any Sad
Back to top Go down
Treven

Treven

PostSubject: Re: CARD OF THE WEEK   CARD OF THE WEEK - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 23, 2011 5:40 pm

jasha whos this duelist who inspired your stardust review
Back to top Go down
Yudheer
Veteran
Yudheer

PostSubject: Re: CARD OF THE WEEK   CARD OF THE WEEK - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 23, 2011 8:26 pm

Treven wrote:
jasha whos this duelist who inspired your stardust review

Aren't you suppose to be at work
Back to top Go down
Treven

Treven

PostSubject: Re: CARD OF THE WEEK   CARD OF THE WEEK - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 24, 2011 2:35 am

saterday was my last night shift im off now go back on thursday
Back to top Go down
Yudheer
Veteran
Yudheer

PostSubject: Re: CARD OF THE WEEK   CARD OF THE WEEK - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 24, 2011 8:47 am

Ah ok
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CARD OF THE WEEK   CARD OF THE WEEK - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

CARD OF THE WEEK
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next